Monday, June 8, 2009

Rosemary + Apricot


Rosemary shortbread cookies with apricot filling
(recipe from Tartlette)

This is the first time I've made cookies with herbs... and I must say I quite like the taste! The cornmeal gave it a nice "rougher" texture so that they weren't too wimpy or delicate. One thing I didn't expect when making these cookies was how inconsistent the heart shapes turned out: some were thinner, some wider, some were just outright asymmetrical, which gave me quite a challenge just trying to match them up for sandwiching. My guess is that both the rolling of the dough and transferring them to the baking sheet gives the cookie a "grain" so when they are baking, each one will have a tendency to stretch out in its own direction. Next time, I will try just leaving the cutouts as they are on the Silpat and removing the scraps to see if that improves anything. 

1 comment:

Ash said...

these were so tasty.